Green Oaks hits the road to New Orleans today for its second-round LHSSA boys’ basketball playoff game against defending state champion Newman a day ahead of the rest of the regional round of games.
The Giants are the No. 17 seed in the Select Division III playoffs and stand 15-14 after their first-round win Friday at Pope John Paul II. Jonathan Stokes led GO with 28 points in the 58-50 win, its first playoff win since 2019.
The Greenies are the top seed in the bracket and 28-6 with a seven-game win streak that ended their regular season. Newman won the Division III championship last season after a state runner-up finish the previous season.
Green Oaks will be looking for its first back-to-back playoff wins since 2011.
Here is a look at the local second-round games to be played Tuesday.
Tuesday’s second-round games (seeding listed in front of school names)
Non-Select Division II
(13) Opelousas (20-12) at (4) Bossier (20-10)
Select Division I
(12) John Curtis (25-7) at (5) Southwood (23-7), 6:30 p.m.
(13) Holy Cross (20-8) at (4) Huntington (22-8)
(11) McMain (14-7) at (6) Captain Shreve (24-5), 6 p.m.
Select Division II
(12) Evangel (22-10) at (5) Shaw (20-5), 7 p.m.
Select Division III
(14) Mentorship Academy (20-13) at (3) Calvary (22-5), 7 p.m.
(15) Loyola (19-12) at (2) Metairie Park Country Day (22-5), 7 p.m.
(17) Green Oaks (15-14) at (1) Newman (28-6), 6 p.m.