Blue Goose pushes LA Krewe, but eventually falls 2-1

BLUE GOOSE D: Shreveport defender Inzwirashe Zuniga (2) and keeper Brett Ekperouh (wearing red) try to contain a LA Krewe attack.

By DAVID ERSOFF, Journal Sports

LA Blue Goose FC, playing in its second of four straight away games, fell to LA Krewe 2-1 in Lafayette Saturday night.

If a goalie battle is what you like about soccer, then this game was for you. Blue Goose (1-4-1) keeper Brett Ekperouh had five saves that were game-saving-type saves that even had the Lafayette crowd cheering his efforts. Not to be outdone, Krewe keeper Sami Borchalli, who has been Centenary’s keeper for the past four years, added four saves at the same crowd-cheering level.

The first half of play favored Krewe with possession and overall opportunities at goal but still had enough up and down the field to know this was going to be a dogfight throughout.

Blue Goose went for goal right off the opening whistle as they pushed to ball forward, when Martin Weintschke hit a rocket from 20 yards out that was headed just under the bar. Borchalli jumped and just got his outstretched fingertips on the ball to deflect it just over the bar.

Krewe (3-1-3) was on notice; the upstart Blue Goose team was here to play.

The Krewe got on the board in the 28th minute off a corner kick. Right wing Pol Mur hit the corner kick to the near post to a charging Alfi Conten, who flicked a header just inside the near post for the only score of the first half and a 1-0 lead.

Blue Goose added one other strong shot which almost tied the game up just before the halftime whistle.

The second half played just as the first had, with Krewe controlling much of the possession. In the 57th minute Krewe had another corner, much like the first goal. This time the corner was put in by Minur Poca, who also found Conten for the 2-0 lead.

Shortly after the goal, a through ball was sent to Blue Goose right wing Nicco TheBerge. The Krewe keeper came out but was stuck in No Man’s Land. TheBerge saw the keeper up and attempted to chip him into goal. The ball went just wide for what would have cut the lead in half. 

Having found a weakness in the Krewe defense, through balls to Theberge were duplicated. The first had him crossing to Adam Morris, who beat the diving Borchalli, to put Blue Goose on the scoreboard, 2-1.

As time was running out, another through ball to Theberge ended with him pounding a left-footed shot from 25 yards out that went just over the top of the crossbar. The final whistle soon sounded with a 2-1 final.

The rematch between the two teams will be July 2 at Centenary College.

Last Wednesday Blue Goose tied LA Parish in Baton Rouge 4-4. Sam Scarth had two goals; Guilherme Bittencourt and Johan Arevalo added one each. Scarth, TheBerge and Morris were credited with the assists.

Blue Goose stays on the road this week with a Wednesday game in Arkansas against the Little Rock Rangers and a Saturday game in Frisco, Texas against Texas United.

Their next home game is June 28 against LA Parish., 7 p.m. at Centenary College.

Photo courtesy LA Krewe